SQUAT MOBILITY: Groiner stretch to open up the hips (3/7)
This is pretty much a deep lunge in what resembles a sprint start position and it’s a great way to open up the hips as a warm-up before a lower-body workout or to be done as mobility exercises on your off days.
- Start in a push-up position and bring your right foot to the outside of your right hand.
- Drop your right elbow to the ground, or as close as possible to increase the stretch in the right hip and hold for a few seconds.
- Straighten your arm again and “search” around for tight spots by moving the hips around. Hold the position of any tight areas you find to free up the muscles.
- Bring your right foot back to the start and repeat on the left.
- I like to repeat this about 8 times for each leg before I squat, as a more dynamic stretch. On rest days or after your workout as a cool down, you can hold the stretch for 1-2 minutes.
STAY TUNED FOR THE REST OF THE SQUAT AND HIPS MOBILITY SERIES COMING UP THROUGH THE WEEK.
Looking for a Chiropractor in Auckland?
Contact Revolution Chiropractic – Leading Sports Chiropractor Auckland