What is insomnia?
Insomnia is a sleep disorder in which a person has trouble falling asleep and/or staying asleep. It can cause you to wake up earlier than you needed to and not be able to return to sleep. Insomnia can cause you to feel tired when you wake up and exhaust your energy levels, mood, performance and quality of life.
There may be other reasons associated with insomnia, however, insomnia may be a primary cause on its own.
Other reasons include:
- Stress- concerns about anything in your life such as family, study, work, finances can keep your mind running in circles which makes it difficult to sleep.
- Eating habits- eating a large meal before sleep can cause discomfort when lying down and heartburn, or acid reflux which can keep you awake.
- Schedule- poor work schedules such as shift work can cause sleeping problems.
- Poor sleeping habits- irregular bedtimes, napping, uncomfortable sleep environment, using your phone before bed can interfere with sleep cycles.
- Difficulty falling asleep at night.
- Waking up during the night.
- Feeling tired after a night of sleep.
- Waking up too early.
- Depression or anxiety
- Daytime sleepiness
- Difficulty focusing
- Ongoing worries about sleep.
- Lower quality of life.
How can Chiropractic help with Insomnia?
Chiropractors adjust the spine in areas that are not functioning the way they should. Adjustments reduce tension on nerves and boost the immune system. These help to minimise the many effects of insomnia. Spinal adjustments help the body to manage all the repetitive daily stress on our bodies. This helps to calm the body to be more relaxed for a better sleep overall.