BEDTIME STRETCHES: Glute stretch/pigeon pose (3/7)
Time to focus on stretching the glutes and back of the hip with the pigeon pose. This can be an easier option than the classic glute stretch while lying on your back since you don’t have to get down on the floor.
Pigeon Pose specifically works as a hip opener and forward bend, stretching your thighs, groin, back, piriformis, and psoas. The leg extended to the rear gets a stretch of the psoas and other hip flexors. On the other side, the rotators and outer hip are stretched. It is a good antidote to sitting for long periods. It prepares you for seated postures and backbends.
STEPS for pigeon stretch
- Place one leg on the bed with your knee bent at 90 degrees and your shin in front of your body.
- Lean forward toward your knee until you feel a pigeon stretch.
- Shift your weight a bit so you are leaning toward your foot.
- Hold each position along the way that feels tight for about 20 seconds.
- Keep your breathing slow and controlled as you do this pigeon stretch.
Looking for a Chiropractor in Auckland?
Contact Revolution Chiropractic – Leading Sports Chiropractor Auckland
You can also book online here!