What is thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)
TOS is a group of disorders that occur when certain blood vessels or nerves in front of the neck are compressed, injured or irritated.
Symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome include pain in the shoulder and neck, numbness, weakness, tingling and coldness down the arm/hand/fingers.
Thoracic outlet syndrome affects the space between the collarbone and first rib (thoracic outlet). Common causes include trauma, repetitive injuries, pregnancy and anatomical defects, such as having an extra rib.
What attributes to thoracic outlet syndrome?
Multiple factors can cause TOS such as:
How can Structural Chiropractic help thoracic outlet syndrome?
Structural Chiropractic focuses on restoring the normal curvatures of the spine, which leads to:
- improved joint motion
- improved muscle strength and stabilisation around the spine
- improved brain and body connection
- decreased muscle tightness and stiffness
- decreased abnormal tension on stress on joints/discs/nerves
- improvement in posture
- improvement and elimination of pain, numbness, tingling.