It can be really tempting to skip your warm up and get right into an intense strength training session to maximize the time in your day. Not only will this decrease your performance in the session, it will also increase the likelihood of injury, which is never fun.
Today we’re going to take you through a catch-all warm that will ensure that all your joints are ready for motion and your blood is pumping. Feel free to mix and match these with other warm up routines to tailor it to your specific training needs.
Be sure to move within a comfortable range of motion and don’t push yourself too far too quickly. Keep breathing throughout and make sure you’re keeping proper form with control and you’re not flailing your limbs out uncontrollably or your may injure yourself.
We’ve combined movements in some of these to maximize the variety of movement your get in shorter time. We’ve presented the movements to time, but feel free to do them to a specific amount of reps or whatever gets your muscles warm and your heart pumping.
Here it is:
Jumping Jacks (1 min)
- Start by standing with feet together and arms at your sides.
- Jump while spreading your legs to shoulder width apart and raising your arms over head.
- Jump back to starting position and repeat.
Squat & Twist (30 secs)
- Squat down and use your left arm to hold your left foot while keeping your elbow on the inside of your leg.
- Twist your torso and other arm towards the ceiling.
- Twist back to the starting position and squat up.
- Repeat on the other side.
Side Lunge with Frontal Raise (30 sec)
- Spread your legs a little wider than shoulder width apart.
- Squat down with your left leg while raising both arms out in front of you.
- Stand up to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
Forward Leg Swings (30 secs each side)
- Hold on to something to the side and start with both feet under your hips
- Swing the outside leg forward and backward while gradually increasing the range and height of your swing
- Repeat on the other side
Lateral Leg Swings (30 secs each side)
- Hold on to something in front of you and start with both feet under your hips
- Shift your weight to your right leg and swing your left across your body and out to the side (left)
- Repeat on the other side
Skipping Shoulder Circles (30 secs forward/30 secs backward)
- Skip forward or in place and make circles with your arms going forward
- Repeat with your arms going backwards
Walk Out with Shoulder Taps (30 secs)
- Start standing with feet shoulder width apart, touch your toes and walk your hands out to a plank position
- Tap your right shoulder with your left hand while keeping your core braced and torso stationary
- Walk your hands back to your feet, stand up and repeat
***Give this routine a try and feel free to mix and match with movements to make it your own!
Looking for a Chiropractor in Auckland?