We always hear that we should be consuming at least 5 fruits or vegetables a day. Have you guys ever stopped and wondered why? Fruits and vegetables are vital in keeping a balanced diet. Studies have shown that consuming 400g of either fruits or vegetables can have significant benefits for ones health.
Here are 5 top reasons why you should be eating 5 a day.
1) Fruits such as apples, bananas, oranges and strawberries all contain high fiber. Fiber is important in maintaining a healthy gut. Healthy guts can prevent constipation and many digestive problems. Consuming a high fiber diet can also reduce the chances of bowel cancer. AWESOME!
2) Fruits and vegetables can help you maintain a healthy weight. Fruits and vegetables can help fill up your stomach quick. But, because they are low in fat and calories it can help you maintain a healthy weight and keep your heart healthy
3) Eating a lot of vegetables and fruits has shown a decrease in blood pressure. They contain many important vitamins and minerals. One important mineral that directly affects blood pressure is potassium. Potassium has shown to negate the effects of salt which has a direct correlation to high blood pressure.
4) Fruits and vegetables all contain high amounts of zinc, lutein, vitamins C and E which all help to ward off degenerative problems in the eye. Foods such as kale, spinach and oranges can help prevent eye disorders that arise from degenerative processes.
5) For pregnant woman 5 a day is just as important. Folate, which is a mineral found in many fruits and vegetables such as; broccoli, beetroot, citrus fruits and bananas have shown to decrease birth defects in newborns
There are so many other benefits that come from consuming a lot of vegetables and fruits. Different fruits and vegetables contain different sources of vitamins and minerals. To get the most out of 5 a day, you should try to consume a variety of fruits and vegetables.