How Bad Are The Toxins In Your Laundry Detergent?

Worth having your clothes smell great?

Your clothes come out looking clean and fresh. Everyone at some point in time has or will have used laundry detergent. Most families will buy laundry detergent but only few know that they’re putting on a toxic suit. Hard to believe right? Well recent research has found that laundry detergents contain toxic chemicals which can have a negative impact on your health. Here are a few of the many reasons why you should stay away from these toxic substances.
1) Surfactants – This compound is an active ingredient found in laundry detergents to get your clothes clean. Surfactants work by removing oil from clothes. However, this products can also remove natural oils from your skin. Natural oils produced by your skin are important in protecting you from microbes. As your natural oils are stripped away and come in contact with detergents this may cause irritation of the skin. For people who have sensitive skin, this may cause severe irritation after wearing clothes washed in laundry detergents.

2) Another toxic chemical in laundry detergents is a solvent called 1,4 – Dioxane. This chemical has been shown to be found in paints and varnishes as well. In acute inhalation of this chemical in high levels has shown to cause vertigo, drowsiness, headaches and irritation of the skin. The consequences can be seen just by inhaling these substances or by coming in direct contact through clothes.

3) Are you the type of person to buy your laundry detergent by its smell? Choosing between citric or lavender fragrance. You better watch out what you choose because the fragrance you’re smelling might be formaldehyde. Research has shown that formaldehyde can cause cancer in animals. In addition to this cancer causing phenomenon it may also severely irritate your respiratory system causing nausea.

4) Bleach is a common household product and is used to disinfect and clean clothes. Bleach can also be found in laundry detergent to some extent. This chlorine based corrosive substance is another product that can cause harmful irritation of the skin. It can also react with organic materials in the environment emitting carcinogenic and toxic substances. Not only is it a harmful substance to our body but it is also harmful to the environment.

People with strong immune systems may not be affected by small amounts of these toxic substances. However, people who are sensitive or have weaker immune systems may have adverse effects just by coming into contact with them. Infants should be especially careful as their skin are more sensitive and are easily affected by these toxic substances.

You can follow us on Instagram Or Twitter, connect with us on LinkedIn, become a fan on Facebook.